MDM has been presented in Ukraine since 2014. These days MDM provides support to people affected by armed conflict and those fleeing in search of safety. MDM main focus is to provide immediate humanitarian relief and to enhance first recovery of health systems.
Component 1 – Medical supplies: Ensured access and availability to fill urgent gaps of the essential medicines and medical supplies for target population of the most affected areas within the local health systems, with especial focused in the collective shelters for the Internal Displaced Persons and in the borders to persons crossing.
Component 2 – Logistics: Ensured safe and timely shipment of humanitarian cargoes from Europe to Ukraine and provide logistical support for delivering humanitarian aid within Ukraine
Component 3 – Health system support: Ensured access and availability of essential health care – MHPSS included, in the primary and secondary health care facilities in the most affected areas of Ukraine through direct health care services provision, with especial focused in the collective shelters for the Internal Displaced Persons and in the borders to persons crossing.
Component 4 – Health Systems Rehabilitation and PHIS information systems: Ensured rehabilitation/ early recovery / PHIS information systems considering local capacities, resources, and constraints.
Rapid change of situation in February 2022 during which whole Ukraine became affected by the conflict required significant scale-up emergency programs with logistics and supply chains that stretched to outside of Ukraine and are across the whole country, from west to the east..
The MHPSS Coordinator is responsible for the design of MdM MHPSS strategy and modalities in the area of intervention, the correct implementation, monitoring and evaluation of MHPSS activities in line with MdM quality standards. He/she also ensures the technical support, training and supervision of MdM and partner MHPSS teams.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION:
the role is based in Kiev/Chernivtsi with regular visits to the field
The MHPSS Coordinator reports directly to the General Coordinator.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
Technical support to MHPSS Program:
- Ensures Assess needs and ensure technical framework coherence of MdM’s MHPSS intervention through technical supervision put in place to MdM’s staff and partners following MdM’s standards and in line with Ukrainian health policies.
- Support the field team in developing and implementing relevant protocols and referral mechanisms in coordination with MedCo.
- Ensure processes to monitor quality and follow up of activities are in place and applied by MdM and partners.
- Plan, coordinate, validate Information, Education and Communication (IEC) MHPSS materials to support MHPSS activities.
Innovations in Mental Health:
- Develop innovative tools, approaches, modalities, interventions to enable access to MHPSS services aiming to bridge the existing gaps due to the under-developed system of MH care or protracted conflict induced limitations (e.g.: community based specialized MH outreach teams; community MHPSS focal points).
- Adapt existing interventions to hardly accessible areas or with no physical access to beneficiaries (i.e., on-line modalities; tele-medicine; etc.).
- Develop appropriate training objectives, planning, contents, evaluation tools, and didactic materials for the interventions PM+, mhGAP, community health focal points in areas of mental health and GBV; and other topic areas as defined by programmatic needs.
- Identify the training needs of staff on MHPSS and GBV and organize relevant trainings (directly or through external resources).
- Ensure implementation of theoretical and on the job training for the MHPSS team (directly, or through external resources).
- Evaluate, based on the initial objectives, the acquired capacities of the trained staff based on the set of established frames of competencies).
Advocacy and communication activities:
- Contribute to the development of the communication strategy of MdM in reaching the strategic objectives in MHPSS program.
- Develop, lead and participate in advocacy activities in line with the MHPSS advocacy strategy and plan in close collaboration with the advocacy manager.
- Validate the interventions proposed and monitor their effectiveness.
- Follow-up the MHPSS intervention implementation and ensure it is in line with projects timeline and quality standards.
- Coordinate with Medical coordinator and Field Coordinators the implementation of technical support of MHPSS Managers on the bases.
- Propose programmatic adaptations of the MHPSS program and activities if needed.
- Participate in defining Job descriptions/ToRs for MHPSS staff, recruitment, training and coaching MHPSS Managers and other team members as needed in order to build local capacities among MdM MHPSS Team.
- Follow-up, update, revise the competency framework for MHPSS team, as part of the annual appraisal and staff review processes or based on the need aimed at monitoring of technical performance.
- Participate in objective setting and performance appraisal for MHPSS staff.
- Follow-up on the staff-support intervention for MdM’s staff, planning necessary measures and activities to ensure MdM’s staff mental health is adequately supported in collaboration with the General Coordinator and Administrative Coordinator.
Proposal writing and Reporting:
- Contribute to the identification, design and proposal writing of MHPSS intervention.
- Provide regular technical reporting on MHPSS activities to the General Coordinator, coordination team, technical referent in HQ in line with established technical report structure.
- Validate and contribute to Sit-Rep monthly mission reports.
- Contribute to donor reports by analyzing the M&E data related to MHPSS activities collected and consolidated from field implementation.
- Ensure follow-up on technical implementation reports at field level (e.g. training reports).
- Participate in Coordination team meetings.
- Represent MdM in external meetings relevant for MHPSS and GBV.
- Plan and develop tools for the assessment needed to develop MdM’s program and integrated MHPSS activities.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Contract length: 1 year.
Medicos del Mundo’s Salary charts.