The opening of the photo exhibition of MdM Greece entitled “Покидаю / Leaving behind*” took place on Friday afternoon 10.03 at the Goethe Institute in Thessaloniki. The photographs by the distinguished photographer Yannis Giannakopoulos capture everything that MdM saw, experienced intensely and witnessed during their mission in Ukraine.
The exhibition was presented from 10.03 to 12.03 in the framework of MdM’s program O.D.I.SO.S Open Democracy in a Society of Solidarity, implemented with the support of the Embassy of the United States of America in Greece and the Alumni Engagement Innovation Fund.
The event honoured with their presence Paraskevi (Voula) Patoulidou, Vice-Regional Governor of Central Macedonia, Isaac Hansen-Joseph, Consul General for Economic Affairs of the US Consulate General in Thessaloniki and Igor Vodolazhskyi, Consul General of Ukraine in Thessaloniki. In the framework of the event, a panel discussion was held on “Cooperation & Solidarity in the context of refugee reception”, in which the following participated:
- Ioanna Kosmopoulou, Deputy Mayor of Social Policy of the Municipality of Thessaloniki
- Dimitra Panagiotaki, Administrator of the Hospitality Structure of Serres
- Alexandra Prochenko, President of the Federation of Greek Associations of Ukraine
- Katerina Tzavara, Educator and Author – IMMA Educational Programmes
- Katerina Schiller, Vice President of the Monopigadou Cultural Association
- Nadia Tsapni, President of the Greek Community of Mariupolis
The discussion was moderated by Nikitas Kanakis, former president of MdM and member of the Board.
At the end of the event, commendations were awarded to the volunteers who selflessly participated in the MdM mission to Ukraine.
* The title of the exhibition bears the Ukrainian word Покидаю (pronounced Pokydayu) which conveys the meaning of violent and sudden flight, of being forced into involuntary flight.